12 February, 2009

Lace

I've done it!!! Yay! I'm on cloud nine and decided that I had to blog about my grand success right away. Well, for a housewife what could be more pleasing than to have a dish come out the way it's meant to be. Especially, for a person like me who is NOT at all into cooking. Paalappam and Potato Stew is what I made today for breakfast. I set out yesterday with the recipes I took from Shn's blog.
I could tell from the yeast that rose to a dome...

...and the frothy batter...

...that I'd probably fare well today.

But I had to wait before I went into celebration mode. Paalappam is something that baffles most Keralite women. Sometimes, it comes out well and at some other times it can turn out to be quite a disaster. I've noticed how my mother's mood would change the moment the appams didn't have the lace or if it stuck to the pan stubbornly. And the reasons could be as varied as the kind of rice used, or the quality of the yeast and even the weather especially in winter when the batter just won't rise. I'm glad I got myself the non-stick Appa chatti (pan) instead of the one that's traditionally used in Kerala. Atleast, I wouldn't have to deal with scraping it off the pan incase it went wrong. I've had my share of failures before and it feels good to bask in the glory of the beautiful lace I've created. Can anyone blame me then for all the snaps I took from every conceivable angle?

There's the potato stew.




And the appam is all ready to be taken off the pan. It's not a perfect circle, but what the heck...that's just fine with me.



My success feels especially good this time as my in-laws are visiting and I've had compliments come my way as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!.. looks yummy.. pls keep something for me...dont mind even if it is cold...

Suma Subramaniam said...

Mini, this looks really yummy! Could you also post the recipes?

Mini said...

Thanks Suma,

I took this recipe from Shn's blog. The link to which is http://kitchenmishmash.blogspot.com/2008/08/paalappam-cleopatra-of-kerala-cuisine.html

Mishmash ! said...

WOW! Congrats :) I perfectly understand your sense of satisfaction......and so glad to know that my recipes worked well for u......thx a lot for letting me know too :)