05 May, 2009

Do-eee??!!

What's in a name? Lots, I should say. I've always felt rather strongly about choosing meaningful names for children and I was definitely out to look for a really nice name when I first found out that I had conceived. So, I scoured the net like most people do these days. It wasn't easy. It had to be meaningful (duh!). It had to be a Biblical name. It definitely couldn't be something as pompous sounding as Bartholomew. Or, as outlandish as Abimelech. Syrian Catholics do not typically keep such names. It had to be something that would blend in with our Mallu sentimentalities. It had to be unique. Our child would have only one name. Hubby and I have had our fair share of problems with getting our marriage certificate because of the confusion caused by the mismatch of our official and baptismal names. So, our baby would have no middle name. We decided to break away from tradition and go with our choice instead of following the age old custom of automatically naming him/her after the paternal grandparent. Further more, I had to look for both male and female names. We had a list of favourite female names ready rather quickly. But strangely enough, Hubby and I couldn't agree on any male names. Y was born and then suddenly out of the blue, like a flash of lightening we knew we had a name that met all our criterion. It meant 'God is gracious'.

So, why am I telling you all of this? Just to let you my dear readers know how much thought went into the 'name-finding' process. And what does sonny boy do? Well, you ask him what his name is and he promptly replies "Do-eee". And where did he get that from? Our guess is as good as yours.

7 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

:) Oh yes--we went throught the name choosing process too--and no middle names for both out children either!
BTW What does Y stand for? What is his name?
Thanks for stopping by
Cheers
preeti

Mini said...

It's good to hear from you Preeti! Y stands for Yohann. I hope he'll be able to say that soon instead of Do-eee :)

Sweetie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sweetie said...

Yohann is a nice name Mini. :))
Always wondered what it meant.. thanx for upgradin me..

Suma Subramaniam said...

Y is so cute. Im sure he'll come to say it as he grows big. Im guessing that he will also add additional adjectives like superman, batman and so on.

anudivya said...

Choosing baby names is a pretty tiresome task, esp if one is not going the traditional way of naming the child after the parents/grandparents etc.
"Do-eee" LOL... so cute!

Mini said...

Yeah, "Do-eee" does sound cute. And as you said Suma, we'll have to deal with all the men; batman, superman and any other men who might be around by the time he's into cartoons:)