07 November, 2009

Mustafa Magic

One of the places I’d rather never visit in Bangalore is Big Bazaar. With the crowds and the constant shoving and pushing it seemed like the worst place to be in even on a weekday. And that is exactly what I thought about Mustafa when I first came here as a tourist in August. I wasn’t impressed at all. Much too crowded for my liking. The salespeople were indifferent. The goods on offer were nothing spectacular that I couldn’t find back home in Bangalore anyway. Obviously, I gave the vegetables & grocery section a miss.

And just yesterday, we went to Mustafa again. This time, it was to the groceries and vegetables section that I paid a visit. And it worked like a charm. The blues have blown over. The sights and smells that assailed me left me speechless. Never ever would I have thought in the wildest of my dreams that endless rows of packaged dals, pickles and spices would give me such a high. Asafoetida smelt like heaven. It brought to my mind memories of Amma’s sambar - my favourite dish. Feels like I’ve been away from home for ages. Coming to think of it, not even a week has passed and I’m homesick already. I picked up whatever was needed for my cooking needs that can be done in the minimal kitchenette of the serviced apartment we now occupy. It’ll be a while before we settle into a proper place.

We loaded ourselves into a taxi on our way back. I came away happy. Mustafa is no more the same. It is for me now much more than just a crowded place. It is a place that definitely reminds me of home. I’ll need more of that Mustafa Magic every once in a while.

4 comments:

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Bless your heart. I think it would be so hard to get used to a big city here in the USA, but you are in a whole different country! I hope Y is feeling better, from your previous post. I am sure in no time you will be whizzing around your new surroundings like you have been there forever. My prayers are with you. blessings,Kathleen

Mini said...

Kathleen, your words are so comforting...it's good to hear from you :)

Suma Subramaniam said...

Mini...

I can't agree more. Its only when we're far away from home that we begin to appreciate the freshness of frozen Indian vegetables:-)

Hope Y is doing well and you are enjoying the city.

Mini said...

Suma,
Yes Y is better. Oh yes the Indian vegetables...totally forgot to mention them in my post...what would I do without them :)