16 October, 2008

Idli??


Err...not quite. Y was napping and I thought it would be a good idea to get something ready for Hubby dear to snack on alongwith tea when he returned from office. I checked to see what was available in the kitchen and decided to go ahead with 'Pidi'. When I made this the previous time, it had turned out really well. A typical "Mallu" dish,nothing fancy at all. The procedure requires roasted rice flour to be made into a dough with water. After which, grated coconut is added. A little salt goes in as well. The consistency of the dough should be soft and smooth such that it hold it's shape when held in the hand.A fistful of dough is held with fingers wrapped around so as to leave an imprint. Make many more of such shapes & steam in the steamer. Easy. Shouldn't take me long I thought as I started to prepare the dough. And this for me is the trickiest part of all. I am famous for never getting the dough 'right'. Never. It's either too much water or too little of it. Usually, it is more of the former. I don't fully understand why I can't seem to be able to learn from my watery mistakes to be more careful and patient while adding water. What can I say...I did it again! I had a thick batter in place of the smooth dough. After pondering a little bit, I had an idea. Why not just go ahead to make it in the idli stand like an idli. The taste would be the same as that of Pidi, the method of preparation also would remain same with the steaming bit. The only difference being the shape. The taste of the pudding they say is in the eating; and my Pidi was well received. The idli stand had saved the day!
I used the recipe from Mishmash's blog. For correct proportions and really good pictures go here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm... It looks yummy...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mini...They look good:)

Mini said...

Thanks Suma & Anonymous for your kind comments :) It does motivate me to continue further on my culinary journey, despite these near failures that seem to happen all the time.

Nima said...

thank you for a good smile to my face....it remindes me my early days in kitchen..