Or should it be huss? Read on and take your pick.
hus
PRONOUNCIATION: (rhymes with fuss).
MEANING:(noun) married man, esp. in relation to his wife. Shortened form of husband'.
USAGE: mostly used by Mallu girls in Kerala.
ETYMOLOGY: I have absolutely no idea about the origin of this word. Haven't found it on the net either. Can't even understand how it came about that 'hus' is used as a shortened version of husband when the rest of the country uses 'hubby'. Therein lies the beauty of my native state :) Nobody comes as close when it comes to the usage of words and their pronounciation (...remember the ungles and the andies?).
As a non-resident Keralite, I was quite amused when I came across the word for the first time. Infact, it took me a while to understand what was being asked when I was encountered with 'So, how is your hus?' or 'Where does your hus work? I've grown quite used to it these days and have even been known to use it in jest.
22 October, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment